Re: [OM] B'fly Outing

Subject: Re: [OM] B'fly Outing
From: Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2014 18:38:37 -0500
Nice images! B'fly bush is blooming here, but all I have seen is a single Skipper.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA

About a week ago went to my first outing at Horn Pond "Mtn" ( perhaps 300 feet) which is a usual hangout for Hairstreaks. We saw less than half a dozen (fewest in memory, but must just have been the day) and only a couple chances at any images. I had a friend watching a field in North Andover for the ememrgence of the Baltimore Checkerspots, and after a few hours at Horn Pond drove about 40 minutes for a chance at a nice image of a Baltimore. They can be stunning when newly emerged, nectaring on a color coordinated blossum. They were in abundance but had trouble getting one isolated with a nice background and did not succeed.. I had one more chance on Saturday as there were a few on the annual 4th of July Count at Appleton farm. I am still working on any usable images. (Moose has been there) I am convinced that a touch of T32 as fill flash is helpful in some circumstances in bring out out the colors/iridescence.

Here are a few from Horn Pond--probably just hit slide show for sizing if so inclined --the sharpening seems to scale ok with the gallery settings.

http://tinyurl.com/osj6aah

Chase but only rarely catch, Mike