Re: [OM] olympus Digest, Vol 68, Issue 21

Subject: Re: [OM] olympus Digest, Vol 68, Issue 21
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2014 15:55:06 -0500
> My oldest friend, at least in time of service, is an author and was also an
> editor for many years always eschewed WYSIWYG editors. I can't imagine he's
> still using his DOS editor, but who knows.

We know two other authors who still use typewriters. Both of them have
multiple projects going and each project has its own typewriter.
(IBMs, of course). The typed pages get digitized without any problem.
(They use the OCR font).

While one would think that this is a step backwards, neither one view
it that way. It's not that they dislike computers, because all the
revisions are computer based. They just do the typewriter for the
draft.

Why it works for them is that they can sit down at any of the
typewriters and pick up instantly where they left off without delay.
The output of each project is stacked and bound by chapter with
various "post-it" flags, so they can revisit something and change
stuff or fill out a chapter if they want.

One of them also mentioned that an advantage to the paper version is
that while they look back and forth through the stack for various
reasons, it's easier to catch continuity errors on paper than it is on
screen.

They also do various handwritten notes on the pages with colored
pencils that filter out on the scans. If they have a part of the book
that needs fleshing out, they flag it and have vast amounts of empty
page, so they can slip that one page back in the typewriter and add a
paragraph if needed.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx