Re: [OM] Lightroom 3.3

Subject: Re: [OM] Lightroom 3.3
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2014 10:04:37 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>>      I'm sitting here toying with Lightroom 3.3 (LR3.3), which is the
>> highest octane version available
>>for WinXP as far as I know.  I have found that by adjusting the "Black &
>>White Mix" sliders I can emulate
>>a glass filter even better than I can with Exp6.  This is interesting as I
>>can get the student and
>>teacher version of LR3 fairly cheaply if I shop around, and it could be a
>>viable option for B&W
>>conversions, just not as convenient.
>

>Using the color filters to emulate a glass filter is easy to
>accomplish in Lightroom, as well as most any image editor. However,
>that doesn't take into account how the sensors see the natural world
>differently than a B&W film. What you might find more pleasing is if
>you change the White balance of the image to a slight cooler (more
>blue-green color cast) before doing your monochrome conversion.

     That difference in how the digital sensor sees the natural world has been
a real pain in this exercise.  I'll experiment with that white balance later
after I get this preset business done with.

     More than a year ago I had asked about overlays to be used in Photoshop 7
that would emulate Wratten filters, and what I found out was that it could get
very expensive.  Now I can see that LR intentionally provides an economic
approach to that idea.

     The colour filtering provided by Exp6 is convenient, but it only provides
for a particular band of colour at a time (so it seems), which is not
consistent with most Wratten filters.  Many of the green filters will perform
this way, but the majority will filter out increaing amounts of yellow to red
(blue filters) or orange to blue (yellow, orange, and red filters).  This
complicates matters and requires that some generalised form of filtering that
can be customised be brought to bear.

     For instance:  In LR if you set the green channel to 100% and all others
to 0% you will get a very narrow wavelength green filter that is not
commercially available.  You then increase the blue and yellow (and perhaps
other)channels slightly to arrive at a known Wratten filter.

     Question now is what are the mechanics of doing so.  I'm going to take
some colour photos of a white card with a few colour filters and see how it
works out.  I looked online for presets along these lines but found nothing
concrete, except for that one IR filter.

     This is turning into quite an adventure.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson