Re: [OM] Yosemite

Subject: Re: [OM] Yosemite
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 21:22:34 -0700
On 6/15/2014 7:39 PM, Willie Wonka via olympus wrote:
I will be for two and a half days in Yosemite and would like to get suggestions
on locations and times to shoot while there. This is not a photography trip,
but I would like to plan the trip so we can see the most picturesque sites.

I have purchased a guide book by Michael Frye, but still feel like I am not
prepared. Additional difficulty is presented by the fact that our cabin is
about an hour and something away from the entrance to the park.

How would you suggest I plan my visit?

It's not possible to see all worth seeing in the valley alone in that time. Much as we would like it to be otherwise, the most awesome/picturesque things are where the crowds are. So taking in the "Big" attractions is a good plan for a first visit. If you don't feel like taking the same pix that have been taken millions of times before (and that was just this week!), just use your eyes, ears, nose and touch and enjoy. Yes, many are multi-sensual, something you don't get in an image. Personally, I can't resist, and take more shots each time. Every once in a while, one is better than its predecessors. :-)

Even the valley alone is a pretty large place. There are areas not jammed with people and not so famous things off the beaten path and/or minor and/or tiny, that are worthwhile.

On the busy, well beaten path from the tour bus and car park to the base of Yosemite Falls, just a few steps off the superhighway of visitors, I saw this. <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/Yosemite2ip/pages/020429_11.htm>

Cars were stopping to get a glimpse of Bridalveil Falls or find a spot in the parking lot. all focused South. I looked North across the valley, and caught late afternoon sun on a little cirque with no name. <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/Yosemite2ip/pages/020430-501_25.htm>

While the masses were taking the classic shots from Valley View, <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/Yosemite2ip/pages/020430-501_00sms.htm>

I turned around, walked up a few stone steps and caught this, <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/Yosemite2ip/pages/020428-29_23.htm>

And this. <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/Yosemite2ip/pages/020428-29_22.htm>

I saw not one other person turning their camera toward any of these. My point, and I could illustrate it with many more images, is that one need not avoid the big attractions to also find the intimate or unknown. Just keep your eyes and mind open.

What would you suggest to visit in terms of picture taking opportunity that
does not exactly look like a photography trip? The three of us are able to
cover large distances on foot, but do not intend to climb the Half Dome.

I already mostly answered this one. The key parts of Yosemite have such a rich abundance of beautiful things that one need not go out of one's way to find one's that aren't typical. But you do have to look. :-)

Our drive last Friday across the Tioga Road was part of a very long driving day. I took only a handful of shots, none of anything famous. I did think this unnamed slope was beautiful. <http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=13436>

With a longer lens, or maybe cropping, I like it even better as semi abstract. <http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=13434>

I know that I would be putting my feet where so many before have and would be
taking the same picture that so many before me have taken, but I really do not
care. I am there to enjoy time away with my family and take advantage of being
able to easily take great photos that I could proudly put up on the wall.

You got the place, you got the camera, have a great visit!

I have done some Internet search and found some sites, but would like to seek
some advice on sites with useful information. I also found this very helpful
message to someone else's question on photographic opportunities in Yosemite
posted on photo.net.

You really don't need that much info. The big stuff is just that, BIG, so easy
to spot, and everything is in all the guides.

Have a laugh:

Frank Uhlig , May 15, 2006; 03:49 p.m.

I am sorry, but I am afraid your question was completely misunderstood.

Or did you really want to plagiarize all the now trite shots taken by everybody
else in the world thousands of times over dozens of years and published in
hundreds of books?

How dull and tedious for vacation fun.

What an egotistical poop head! Who is he to judge how I will have vacation fun?

I think you should avoid all the suggested sites and trails and discover for
and by yourself. It is a marvellous country around Yosemite! Come see!

But mass tourism is just stupid: you will be one dot (or better yet: pixel) in
the crowd .. if you follow this advice; another pea in the pod, monkey-like
uhhing and ahhing as sheep and cows do ..

Oh Pish, and Tosh. The crowds are there because there is something there to see/experience that does powerful things inside you, I hope, and certainly to me.

Your Way Moose