Re: [OM] [OT] Appalling customer service

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Appalling customer service
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 11:53:59 -0500
>    "cheap" has negative connotations. I assume you meant purely $. I have
>    nothing against Apple quality. I just don't buy into the marketing.
>    Apple is a tightly controlled vertically integrated company with a
>    carefully cultivated image to maintain. This has been a successful
>    model and their widgets sell for a premium over and above their value
>    as tools IMHO. This model is starting to show cracks I think. The
>    "cheap" windose products are the better value as tools which is borne
>    out by market share.

No Apple bashing (although, I do love applesauce), but the one thing
that the Windows world gives you is options. Options to be able to
find or build a machine to a specific specification. If I want a
machine that is of the same physical grade as a MacBook Pro, I can.
And the prices are actually reasonably close. A carved out hunk of
aluminum costs about the same either way. The main difference is that
the Apple has fewer physical connections of fewer types.

At issue with most Apple products is the lack of options as well as
the occasional lack of compatible ports or external interface options.
That has certainly been an issue in regards to external drives. With a
Windows platform, your external drive enclosures will work across
multiple generations of the computers. With Apple, entire generations
of interfaces are either not supported or supported on only select
models. Abandonment has been another issue with Apple. The computers
are outliving their useful lives because the OS/Software is abandoned.

As long as you are fine with running general office suite applications
and an image/video editor or two, Apples are simply wonderful. But the
only way to get most corporate applications to even pretend to run on
an Apple requires Citrix. And Citrix is essentially a front end to a
computer running something other than Apple...

As a personal computer, yes, Apple is king. As a computer for the
corporate environment, not so much.

Honestly, it all comes down to one thing--what application do you NEED
to run on it? More often than not, you can go either way, but
sometimes the choice is dictated to you because of application or
hardware requirements.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx