Re: [OM] OT: Life in Tempe

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Life in Tempe
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 09:47:27 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>>      Yes to all of that.  But, in a demanding instrument approach, meaning
>> one where the weather is barely above minimums, a HUD can improve your
>> ability to fly the approach and also look for the field environment
>> undisturbed.

     <<SNIP>>

>I don't know if either of our ex-mil pilots experienced this, but many
>airplanes will have certain gauges (steam style gauges) rotated in
>their mounts so the "normal" operating position of the needle is
>straight up. While the gauge is cockeyed and somewhat difficult to
>read when in other power settings, at least when in normal flight
>mode, you can tell when something isn't right without even looking at
>the gauges. Just a glance across the array of gauges will reveal
>something off. Nothing to read and "understand", just a visual knowing
>what is and isn't right.

     Yes, most of our engine instruments on the C-130 had green and red bands
along the rim so that you could quickly judge the engine performance without
having to read the numbers.  Very handy with constant-speed props and
turboprops.  Really speeds up your engine instrument cross-check.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson