Re: [OM] OT: Life in Tempe

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Life in Tempe
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 06:30:26 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>The AF aircraft had entered a thunderstorm (unlike any other airliner on that
>route at that time), the
>ADC probe had iced up, the AP had disconnected, the stall warning was sounding
>and each pilot (including
>the captain, who had been down the back) thought that they needed full
>back-stick.  The pilot's station
>can override the co-pilot's, but not vice versa, I understand.  I know several
>ex-forces captains on
>Airbus so I'll check with them on my next flying day.
>
>This is as I read it some months ago.  I need to have another look at as I now
>lecture aircrew, both
>experienced and inexperienced, in Spatial Disorientation.  It continues to
>cause between 1/4 and 1/3 of
>accidents, is twice as likely to be fatal and 80% of aircrew do not know that
>it is happening (sorry
>about the mix of units there . . . ).

     This is an essential element of partial panel instrument flying, which we
discussed not too long ago.  In such conditions, you have to ignore your
physical senses and rely entirely on the very few instruments that you have
available.  Once the inner ear takes priority, you've bought it.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson