Re: [OM] [OT] Appalling customer service

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Appalling customer service
From: JOHN DUGGAN <john.duggan10@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 22:38:40 +0100
Scott,
        In an earlier life I seemed to spend more time building / repairing
"Windoze / PC computers than actually using them. Hard drive failures were
common, as were memory issues and circuit board problems. The "Blue Screen of
Death" was an acceptable - and expected hazard! Frequent re-installation of
"Windoze" was the order of the day.
With my Mac I just use the damn thing....No lockups , if a programme stalls you
just shut it down with out the machine throwing a hissy fit. Three years total
reliability . On Chuck's advice I re-boot it every couple of days. (I did
destroy a motherboard on a previous machine twice - more of that later)
Three Ipods with hard drives all still working... Gen 1 and 2  have had
batteries replaced after a lot of use. All are full of music and are in daily
use. My wife has had 2 years daily use from her iPad..no issues. My Iphone has
also performed as expected.
A  Dell laptop I rebuilt last year using a 300 GB SSD to supplement the hard
drive, running 64 bit "Windoze 7" has already suffered intermittent
freezes...Very Frustrating!!

Now an admission of guilt...I blew up my previous 24" Mac. Returned it to my
Apple store 25mls away under it's 3 year guarantee. They changed the
motherboard. Took it home...plugged it in and within a few hours it was defunct
again. Returned to the Apple store they confirmed it was dead, ran diagnostic
tests and were puzzled as to what the problem was. After discussion they
offered to swop it for a higher spec NEW 27" machine. I of course agreed!
When I set it up I started thinking carefully about what had changed. The only
thing I could think of was a new D Links  powered USB hub, bought in the
States.I found that it was faulty, pushing megavolts into the computer USB port
frying the circuits.!!!
I was VERY lucky to get an exchange!!
I am of course a very satisfied Apple user.

Regards
John Duggan,
Wales, UK