Re: [OM] ***SPAM*** Re: Olympus Software

Subject: Re: [OM] ***SPAM*** Re: Olympus Software
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2014 12:34:53 -0400
I think you're trying to make a very simple process into something too complicated. It's true you have to forget your negative photography filtering but, once you do and are working with positive images you'll find that the process is WYSWIG. In ACR (and I assume with Olympus Viewer as well) you tell the software to convert to graytone (B&W). In ACR your color image will disappear and be replaced by a graytone image. The underlying color image is still there but hidden. What also appears is a set of color sliders for modifying the luminance of the underlying color channels. ACR will have already modified the sliders somewhat to make what it considers a representative B&W image. Then the sliders are left in place for you to twiddle to your heart's content.

Remembering that this is a WYSIWYG process, if you want to darken the blue sky then move the blue slider to the left. If you want to brighten the foliage move the green and/or yellow sliders to the right.

PhotoShop does allow inverting the colors of an image. I suppose that means you'd be able to do the filtration using your conventional negative filters as you suggest below. But after you've learned to do WYSIWIG filtering I don't know why you'd want to use the negative methods. Take advantage of the technology. It's fast and easy.

Chuck Norcutt