Re: [OM] A65 request for image quality evaluation.

Subject: Re: [OM] A65 request for image quality evaluation.
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2014 07:37:56 -0400
I don't understand all the worry. I don't know how to evaluate dynamic range between the two but the A65 has produced a clearly superior image with respect to resolved detail. To prove it I chose to concentrate on the chimney cap and its mesh screen. In the A200 image the mesh screen doesn't seem to exist at any magnification. In the A65 image the mesh screen stands out sharply. I wondered if this was just a 24MP sensor vs an 8MP sensor so I reduced the height of the A65 image from 4000 pixels to 2454 pixels to match the size of the A200 image. The mesh screen was still sharply visible and even at 65% vs 100% (1:1 pixel view). Since it was still visible at 65% I was emboldened to reduce the image height to 1920 pixels which is the image size for the 5MP A1. Even reduced to 5MP the A65 image still shows the mesh screen clearly visible at 100%. You can't see it clearly resolved at 65% but you still know that it's there. The A200 at 8MP shows nothing but a blur.

Of course, this may be due to the lenses involved or the apertures used. You didn't give any tech data for the images so I don't know what apertures were used. The A200 has a tiny sensor. Shooting it at f/8 or possibly even f/5.6 will cause diffraction to reduce image detail to about 4MP vs. the 8MP capability of the sensor. Whether it's lens quality, aperture & diffraction or something else I don't know. What I do know is that the A65 image blows the A200 out of the water. I don't know how you could have ever thought the A200 was superior.

Get a good night's sleep and then a cup of coffee and have another look.

Chuck Norcutt