[OM] A65 request for image quality evaluation.

Subject: [OM] A65 request for image quality evaluation.
From: Willie Wonka via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2014 18:23:28 -0700 (PDT)
I felt the buyers remorse when the A65 showed up, because I really wanted to
have the EM10. I still have it, but it is buried somewhere deep so it does not
bother me anymore.

Here are the details, even the ones you never cared about:

I bought it from “Beach Camera” tad later I received a message that there was a
problem with my order. Nothing serious, the bank was being careful, which I
appreciate and wanted to alert me about having an account charge. But then the
funny thing happened: A second camera arrived at my door a day after the first
one was delivered.

Right before I got the bank to authorize the purchase, I was caught by my
significant other looking at the EM10 once again, but was told that “I had done
my research already, liked what I choose, especially the price and there isn’t
a reason to ride this emotional train once again”.

The camera is huge by my standards. Although the plastics used are really nice,
you wouldn’t like it. Actually, the impression would have been completely
different if the flash shoe was metal one. I thought this was a senseless way
to cut cost along with the other one that caused me a great irritation: The
remote control had to be purchased separately, really...it just costs $20.

It is very pretty in a Canon EOS from the mid-nineties way. I have small hands
and at that time they were extremely tired, because of the number of pull ups I
did in the gym that week, but despite having trouble holding heavier items, I
felt really comfortable handling it.

I tested the camera side by side with the A200 and it looked like A200’s
picture quality was better. But found out later that I was looking at a wrong
file, it was really late. You can imagine what I felt, as I was having doubts
in a first place. That’s when I wanted to put it to test, along with the M5
that my friend has (and justify the EM 10 purchase). I never found out what I
was looking at and why I got the impression that its picture quality was worse
than that of the A200, so no tests were performed, but if anyone cares, I can
do that.

Back to the camera: besides excellent ergonomics, the thing that I least cared
about, but know that you were itching to ask me-how does the electronic
viewfinder perform…You would be very, surprised. You wouldn’t know that it is
not optical. Actually, I lied-there is some grainess that appears in dark
scenes that require exposure of 1/8 seconds or slower and that’s when you start
to notice that it is an electronic viewfinder.
I am not sure if there is a difference between the jpeg’s and the RAW files the
camera produces. I will experiment with that later, after work slows down. I
have put up two pictures on zone10 one made with the A200 and another with the
A65. The A200 is a RAW converted to tiff I believe and the A65 is the jpeg
straight from the camera also converted to tiff just to be fair. I have a RAW
to tiff that wanted to post, but the Schnozz stubbornly refused to give me an
upload permission...:), because the file was huge.

I would like to get the opinion of the pixel peepers amongst you on the picture
quality of the camera (s). I picked this scene, so I could also get an idea of
what the dynamic range and evaluate the metering performance.

Best

Boris

The link to the files: