Re: [OM] Olympus Software

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus Software
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2014 12:38:06 -0500
Still haven't had a moment to get to my test images, but recently I did do
a bumch of testing with lens filters on digital for several reasons. It
really is a miracle that any of this stuff works.

Many years ago, I was trying to figure out audio compression algorithms and
seeing what types of material would cause it to break. I was also
performing the same tests on FM Stereo and AM Stereo. Turns out that there
was a bug in the MPEG Joint Mode algorithm that nobody knew was there.
Granted, it took world class test gear, but I found it. The question I had
was what would happen if you fed out of phase program to both channels. The
answer was not what anybody wanted to see or hear. The algorithm was one
sample out of phase.

AG Ears.

On Saturday, June 14, 2014, Philippe <philippe.amard@xxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm still afraid there's a HUGE misunderstanding Chris.
>
> Look carefully here :
> http://www.olympusamerica.com/crm/oneoffpages/ask_oly/crm_e_ask_oly_07_07.asp
>
> I've been trying for the start to explain that you don't need to carry
> glass filters if you shoot raw/ORF and post process from there.
> Your PC/MAC and post-processing software are so much more powerful than
> the poor chip on board any camera.
>
> This being said, I'm running short of arguments as you seem to be willing
> to stick with settings of no value for what you want to achieve I'm afraid.
>
> Amities
> Philippe
>

> Le 14 juin 2014 à 16:32, Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> <javascript:;>> a écrit :

> filters are to function?
> >>
> >> Do you mean to say that RAW and HQ are related? I think not.
> >> The size of the raw file doesn't vary whatever SQ HQ LQ you use, does
> it?
> >>

> >     Yes, as it should.  I have mine set to SQ with 1/8 compression,
> which results in 1.7M or so files.
> >

> >> My tip of the day - just forget about these in camera filters and
> convert from the raw, this is where
> >> the information is, without a loss, and leaves much more room for you
> to adjust your BW to taste  ;-)
> >>

> >     Ultimately I will, but the emulated filters are convenient if I
> should learn how to use them.  I don't want to be carrying multiple filter
> wallets, just the one with some cooling and warming filters plus a +1
> diopter closeup and some adapter rings.
> >

> > Chris
> >
> > When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro
> >     - Hunter S. Thompson
> > --

Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx