Re: [OM] Digital B&W Photography with the E-500/510

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital B&W Photography with the E-500/510
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2014 08:20:03 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>I just pulled out my E-510 Manual to check the filter comments. On page
>61, under Picture Mode, the uses of the built-in filters are covered,
>but very briefly.

     In my PDF copy of the manual, that appears on page 52.

>While it is not specified in the text, I believe that
>the Picture Mode is just like any other art filter, and can only be used
>with jpeg images.  I recall playing around with this some years ago, but
>have not used the E-510 recently.
>
>I believe that, if one goes to the RAW image, the filter effect is gone.

     I experimented with this further yesterday.  It seems that when using
glass filters you save the image in RAW colour format, then edit it as desired
and finally save the JPEG B&W version.  I came to this conclusion when looking
at two IR photos, one that was recorded in RAW colour format and then converted
to JPEG B&W, and another that was recorded in JPEG colour format and converted
to B&W.  They are dramatically different, the converted RAW image being what I
was expecting and the one recorded as JPEG being the same as the earlier
problematic images.

     The instructions seem to have been written for "Joe the Casual
Photographer", and are therefore a bit cryptic when it comes to the fine
details of serious usage such as glass and emulated filters for B&W.  For
instance, the steps to editing and converting images has an unnecessary extra
step added and it is shown that you select EDIT with the OK button rather than
using the right cursor button to enter the editing menu.

     I endeavour to persevere.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson