Re: [OM] Digital B&W Photography with the E-500/510

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital B&W Photography with the E-500/510
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2014 13:45:29 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>I've got a slew of comments on the which I'll try to get to tonight.
>Complete with test images I can post.

     I may have had some success with this problem.  After reading that page on
IR photography with the E-510 a few times, I got out my 720µ IR filter then
went outside and took a couple of photos in natural colour rather than
monotone.  I shot them in RAW, then converted to SQ.  Only problem was that
from that webpage I had the impression of doing an edit in the camera would do
the conversion to monotone, which was not correct.  What I got was the same
deep red colour photo in SQ format.

    So, I downloaded them in Corel Photo-Point and did a grayscale conversion.
It worked!  Turns out that this step in the process is assumed to be known on
that webpage.  I at least have that route for B&W taken care of, but I still
have the problem of taking B&W photos with the emulated colour filters, which
is presently a mystery.

     For general purposes, I can make do with the emulated colour filters,
provided that they work as advertised, which at this point they don't.  For
finer tuning of the filtering, such as the various grades of yellows and greens
plus combinations, I will have to revert to taking natural colour photos with
the glass filters and then converting them to grayscale in Corel Photo-Point or
Photoshop.  Just an extra (but inconvenient) step, that's all.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson