Re: [OM] OT. Books

Subject: Re: [OM] OT. Books
From: Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2014 09:35:43 -0700
... But when it comes to books, I live in a cultural desert. I am forever
grateful to Amazon ...
...I live out in the middle of nowhere in South Carolina.  It is half an hour
to the nearest mall. ...
The more I get around the more I realize that we live in a unique part of the world bookwise. We are pretty isolated by geography. About 3 hours TTNM (time to nearest mall) where we hit up the Costco every few months. However why would I go to the mall there since that town has several super used bookstores. Even our town pop 1700, whole island 5000, has an excellent new bookstore, our neighbors own it, AND a good used bookstore plus a couple of lesser bookstores. SJ Co. has the highest per cap library use in the state. This is true throughout the PacNW. Every town has a good bookstore. Get out beyond and the ratio drops like a rock.

Not to say we don't do mail order. A lot of speciality things aren't locally available. Most of my supplies for work are shipped. Clothes too. I hate to shop for clothes. We do appreciate Amazon but not enough for the premier acct.