Re: [OM] IMG: WAS Nathan's PAW 22: NOW CLICK CLACK

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: WAS Nathan's PAW 22: NOW CLICK CLACK
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2014 21:49:28 +1000
What you are referring to is called a 'Nation State' in political studies, to
avoid confusion.
Both 'nation' and 'state' when used alone have multiple meanings.

FWIW
A state is regarded as an semi-autonomous, partly self-governing administrative
division in a federation. For instance, an English-speaking observer would
refer to Hesse, for instance, as a 'state' in the German federation.
States within different nations may have very different levels of autonomy. In
some, they are rather powerless, in others virtually independent. The USSR
regarded it's 'states' as independent republics and in some aspects, they were.
Ideally, State Governments become a check and balance on the Federal Government
in domestic issues at least. That's why here the Upper House is elected
proportionately by  State Divisions and the Lower House popularly by Federal
Divisions.

The English division is a County (not country) and they are far less autonomous
and much smaller than a US, Australian, Indian state or Canadian Province. I
Understand that many US States are divided into rural 'Counties'. In the UK,
cities within them are independent of the County authority, for instance, so
they become a rural administration. (i.e. Leicester City Council and
Leicestershire County Council are separate bodies).
I suspect that the UK administrative structure may have overtaken my shambling
memory - I'll bet it's more complicated than that.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Author/Publisher:
The SLR Compendium,The TLR Compendium