Re: [OM] Suggestions for MFT auto extension tubes?

Subject: Re: [OM] Suggestions for MFT auto extension tubes?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 22:45:26 -0700
On 4/27/2014 5:57 AM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
I have Meike tubes but there are two versions at different prices. I own model MK-P-AF3A ($56) shown here . The tube bodies are plastic but the mounts are metal. The color is satin finish aluminum but, if it's aluminum, it's very hard. But it's not the chrome plated brass that you see on many lens adapters. <http://www.amazon.com/Meike-Extension-Panasonic-LUMIX-Lenses/dp/B00DODS8OU/ref=sr_1_9?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1398601262&sr=1-9&keywords=meike+extension+tubes>

Then there is also the much cheaper ($29) model MK-P-AF3B shown here
<http://www.amazon.com/Meike-Automatic-Extension-Olumpus-Panasonic/dp/B00BY0F0P0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398601099&sr=8-1&keywords=meike+extension+tubes>
Perhaps these are the plastic mounts that Moose refers to.

Yup. There weren't nearly so many choices when I bought. Can't say I'm very
sorry, though. They have worked well.

Once I got the 60/2.8 Macro, which fits in my small, light main kit bag, the tubes played second fiddle. The ability to carry macro in a tiny kit, or just in a pocket, with the GM1 has revived my interest.

I was surprised at Moose's comment that he could see a sliver of light at the mount when subjected to a heavy load. So I tried that myself. I don't have a heavy m4/3 lens like the 75-300 so I added an OM-m4/3 adapter and installed the Vivitar 90/2.5 macro and the Zuiko 85-250/5. With he OM adapter they were all hanging way out there... enough so that I was slightly uncomfortable letting them hang out there with no support underneath. I stepped into a semi-darkened closet and a small, LED flashlight into the lenses. I couldn't see any sliver of light at the mounts.

I've assumed it's the plastic mounts that flex slightly.

Extensible Moose