Re: [OM] Suggestions for MFT auto extension tubes?

Subject: Re: [OM] Suggestions for MFT auto extension tubes?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2014 22:05:06 -0700
I surprisingly don't see any Oly choices yet and none seem as nice as my OM ones. Kenko has a good rep for Canyon ones but not clear the $180 is warranted for these. Fotga is said to have aluminum but some scattered reports of sloppy machining.

If you include the Fotasy tubes, which look identical to the Fotogas, you've got 8 positive reviews vs. one negative. Maybe he got a bad one he should have returned for another. Maybe it would have been fine if he'd twisted harder, a burr on the aluminum that chromed brass would have taken care of.

Lots of choices, very little information:

The Vitrox tubes look nice, with ripple baffled interiors and, like the
Fotogas, separate springs on the mounts.
From Amazon. <http://www.amazon.com/Viltrox-DG-M43-Extension-combinable-photography/dp/B00FDMPEKQ> Cheaper from a couple of eBay sellers. <http://www.ebay.com/itm/Auto-Focus-AF-Macro-Extension-Tube-for-Olympus-Panasonic-micro-four-thirds-M4-3-/400572598892?pt=US_Lens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item5d43fcca6c>
BUT!! <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGb8c-p8Ctg>

Then there's the three piece set from MOVO, on Amazon. <http://www.amazon.com/Movo-Extension-Mirrorless-Compatible-Blackmagic/dp/B00GSCJU3M/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1398572499&sr=1-2-fkmr1&keywords=automatic+macro+extension+tube+for+Olympus+panasonic+micro+four+thirds+M4%2F3> Metal mounts, no mount springs visible in the photos, but no reviews info I can find.

Depending on what you plan to do with them, the plastic ones I have may be fine. The are sold as Blue Sky, Neewer, Meike and ??? They fit and work well, I've had zero operating problems.

The only negative I've come across is that the mount flexes, very, very slightly, under a heavy load. When the 75-300 is mounted and held horizontally, I can see a thin sliver of light at the top of the mount. Not a real problem in practical, hand held use, as my left hand is on the lens. On a tripod, I'd be using a different lens/set-up.

If you are looking for something for the kit lens of the GM1, 20/1.7 and/or Panny 45-150, they would be excellent. And, they are less money, so when lost like a lens cap ...

Between my working Blue Sky set of tubes and the Oly 60/2.8 macro lens, I'm turning the task of buying and testing all the others all over to someone else. :-)

Extended Moose