[OM] More Red [was 2014 Orchid Show]

Subject: [OM] More Red [was 2014 Orchid Show]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2014 14:00:56 -0700
As it happens, I had taken a shot of a red-orange poppy the day before Joel's
orchid show post.

I'm addressing here ONLY the question of browser rendition of various color
spaces. I saved images of two versions of
the flower, ACR defaults and post processed for big, bright reds.

Saved as JPEGs with embedded color spaces ProPhoto, aRGB and sRGB.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/BrowserColorSpaces/Tulip.htm>

Looking at them in FireFox, IE, Chrome, Opera* and Safari. Of those, the only
one in which I could clearly see changes
is IE. I could almost convince myself I saw other differences, but if so,
extremely subtle, and probably not there at all.

IE shows a distinct change in lower middle tones and shadows between ProPhoto
and aRGB, but none between aRGB and sRGB.

My conclusion is that all you may have read or have found to be true in the
past about differences in rendering between
sRGB and aRGB in mainstream browsers on Windoze is not now true.

My practice of posting my images in aRGB makes no difference in how they are
rendered in current versions of these four
browsers.

This becomes significant in my next post about red channels.

"Red" Moose

* Opera gets the booby prize for hubris. Like Safari used to do, it assumes it
is the only browser anyone might want,
pins itself to the task bar, puts a shortcut on the desktop and makes itself
the default browser. Safari is now well
behaves in installation.