Re: [OM] 2014 Orchid Show

Subject: Re: [OM] 2014 Orchid Show
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 21:59:19 -0700
First. Joel, I enjoyed the very colorful show of well chosen and composed
images.

On 4/15/2014 10:20 PM, Chris Barker wrote:
> Joel
>
> Sorry, I misled you.  I love the red flowers, but as I was viewing them the
> reds seemed bulked-out somehow.  And we have discussed on the List how some
> sensors seem not to be able to deliver detail in reds.

I don't think it's the sensor, per se. If one recognizes the potential and
corrects with more negative EV adjustment
than might seem necessary, it's always possible to tame the reds.

The overall quality will then depend on the ISO and sensor system in the bottom
part of the histogram and the skill of
the processor in pulling up the mid and low tones.

I looked at a couple of these to see what is possible with the JPEGs.

This red and yellow one is pretty fully recoverable.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Wilcox/3159746w.htm>

This orange one is largely recoverable, although there are a few areas where I
couldn't fully recover tonal detail.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Wilcox/3159740w.htm>

If that much is recoverable from the JPEGs, is pretty likely that full recovery
is possible from the ORG file.

> I tend not to try with deep reds any longer.

It CAN be done! You just can't rely on the camera to work it out for itself. :-)

In Gamut Moose