Re: [OM] Anybody using magicJack? Got comments?

Subject: Re: [OM] Anybody using magicJack? Got comments?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 07:41:28 -0400
My personal experience with "the slumlords of telecommunciations"
(Time-Warner in New York and Brighthouse Communications in Florida) is
that their VOIP service provides highly reliable and near perfect voice
quality... as good as anything I ever had from a Verizon land line.  I
only use my cell phone when I'm on the road and have no other choice.  I
used to use Verizon which I considered outrageously expensive and far
less than perfect.  I switched to Consumer Cellular (for us old fogies)
which runs on AT&T's network.  Depending on where I am service is
slightly worse but only slightly.  Meantime I'm only paying 1/3 as much.
  When you live in an RV/trailer park in the winter you find that living
in an aluminum house is a bit like living in a Faraday cage.  Cell
phones are very unreliable if they work at all.  I don't have a
Jitterbug phone but I'd be perfectly happy with one.

I understand that the internet was not designed for real time
communications but I think I'll buy a Magic Jack and make my own
determination of quality.  My experiences seem to not match with yours.

Chuck Norcutt