Re: [OM] [OT] Computers - XP

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Computers - XP
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 11:50:05 -0800
On 2/24/2014 10:46 AM, Paul Braun wrote:
> ... My problem with NAS (and I could easily build one using FreeNAS and an
> inexpensive tower) is that the online backup services like Carbonite and
> Backblaze won't back up a NAS share (makes sense - those services are
> licensed per computer, and a NAS share could be 15 computers in one house).
>
> So, I'm going with a RAID5 box attached with Firewire800 which will provide
> some redunancy and will be backed up with Backblaze.

I think you are trying to solve a different problem than I was. I just bought a
cheap, single NAS drive to use as
sharing storage for the several devices in the house.

There's no intent to use it for backup. Anything anyone wants to keep should
only be copied there, and also remain on
the primary device and its backup.

All this RAID tower stuff sounds both like $ and equipment overkill and less
secure than a simple BU strategy with
single HDs and a toaster.

With 64 GB cards in my primary cameras, even with month long, photo intensive
trips, I have weeks of original image
files on rotating SD cards. With regular, daily, if more than handful of shots,
backup to netbook and an external drive
on the road, copying to the desktop image drive when I get/am home and regular
backups of that drive, I already have
lots of redundancy in different forms and places.

Even with the much smaller cards of the past, I never actually lost anything
with this system, even when I though at
first I had made a real boo-boo.

I'd rather spend the money on photo gear; may have done so. :-)

No Narcs Moose