Re: [OM] (OM) Computers

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) Computers
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 17:19:44 -0500
What you suggest is perfectly fine... as long as you never again get
onto the internet.  If you do you may eventually be toast.  You might
like to read this article
<http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-xp-end-of-life> but I'll explain
the main danger point right here...

There is a lot of common code between various versions of Windows.  When
Microsoft uncovers security holes in Win 7 or Win 8 they will issue
patches for those systems.  The bad guys need only study the code change
for Win 7/8 fixes and then inspect the XP code to see if the same bug is
there.  There is a high probability that it will be.  But now they will
know exactly what the security hole is (if they didn't before) and also
that it will *never* be fixed.  You and several million other people who
fail to upgrade will be sitting ducks and the low hanging fruit.  I
don't want (and don't intend) to be there and you shouldn't either.  I
advise you to pay the tax... either to Microsoft or Apple or someone
else.  Maybe it's time to move to Linux if you don't want to pay the OS tax.

Chuck Norcutt