Re: [OM] Brand Shift - The Sequel

Subject: Re: [OM] Brand Shift - The Sequel
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 11:17:45 -0600
>>I pay a great deal of attention to what listers buy and praise here and
>>the reasons why.
>  Same here, though I have little interest in the "latest and greatest" and am
> more interested in opinions and experiences with older MF lenses and
> accessories, and especially interested in learning about the techiques of
> other people in relatively demanding situations.

I pay attention to what people are using when they shoot what I shoot
or have similar styles to my own. Joel, Bill, Ian would certainly flow
to the top of that list for me. If I did tons of street photography,
Nathan's influence would be greater than it already is. Even Bob has a
teenie, tiny bit of influence. Not very much, though... ;)

So, when these influencers are migrating a particular direction, I do
tend to sit up and pay close attention. But this isn't the only place
I get my influences from. That's one reason why I hang out at places
like APUG.

Through these influences, I've gotten the E-1 (Bill), the 28/2 (Joel)
and processing techniques (Bob, Moose). Oh, rats. I just gave kudos to
Moose. Oh, the humanity of it all. I'm never going to hear the end of
it.

So, when I see others getting cameras, such as the Sonys and Fujis,
and then I see the results of the cameras (Jim with his XE1), I see
that over time, with the body of work being generated from these
camera systems, there are certain trends that come out. The Fujis have
absolutely the best color of anything on the market right now. They
also have the ability to get out of the way of the photographer and
I'm seeing pictures that we haven't seen for 20 years. I'm sure Tina
shoots differently with the Leicas than she did with the Canons. Both
excellent systems, but just a different way of working.

Is Nathan an influence? Absolutely! However, I do believe that he
places too little emphasis on the tool and how it alters the way of
shooting and the results.

Am I looking for consensus? Sure. I'm also just making an observation
as a trigger for discussion. Something other than food, beer and heard
medications.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx