Re: [OM] Errrrr.... nevermind

Subject: Re: [OM] Errrrr.... nevermind
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2014 20:27:05 -0800
On 2/6/2014 12:59 PM, Paul Braun wrote:

> However, it's also out of my budget range at the moment.  I'm going after
> the Panny 14/2.5.

I wonder if you might be suffering from GAS brought on by SAD, Seasonally
Affective Disorder related Gear Acquisition
Disorder - SADGAS. :-)

I have no excuse where I live, but ... Yet far too often, I find myself NEEDING
some sort of gear or other. This leads
to a phase of endless, obsessive searches for information and reviews about the
choices and as to sources and prices.

Recognizing that there are pieces of gear that will really improve my
experience of photography, and perhaps, on
occasion, actual results - AND - that pure GAS, the need to buy something, are
both strong forces, I try to calm myself
down, wait a bit, and see if the urgency goes away. GAS goes away, or finds a
new target.

If it were me, there are warning signs here. I've decided I really need
something, but instead of letting issues of
performance and usefulness drive me, I've gone for price as the deciding factor.

That starts me wondering if I will in fact find the new thing a good
acquisition, or, as happens to me a bit too often,
just another piece of gear that doesn't have a real place and usefulness.

The 14/2.5 is less wide than the 12-50 @ 12 mm, and only a stop faster. It's
also not that much wider than the 20/1.7,
but a stop slower. If I give up on the idea of a real SWA zoom, might I not
already have all I need with the other two
lenses?

Might I not be better off biding my time and saving my pennies for a lens that
would really improve what I can do?

GAS-X Moose