Re: [OM] Dangerous Ice!

Subject: Re: [OM] Dangerous Ice!
From: Charles Geilfuss <charles.geilfuss@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 10:44:31 -0500
  Glad you are OK, Tina. We are usually nicer to visitors here, but Mother
Nature can get a bit grumpy. We got about 1/4" of ice followed by a dusting
of snow. A pittance by northern standards, but as we have no plows, no salt
trucks and no icy driving experience, it is best that we just close
everything and stay home until it is over. The tricounty EOC (emergency
operations center) is a well-oiled machine (mostly due to tropical storms)
and they did a good job shutting down schools, businesses and getting
everyone off the roads. Timing was also on our side as most of the
precipitation occurred after 8pm (unlike Atlanta which was a midday event)
giving the stragglers time to get home. All the area bridges (there are
about 10 of them) were closed all day Wednesday so we got an extra day off
work and school. Today, all but one area bridge have re-opened.
Unfortunately it is the main bridge between Charleston and Mt. Pleasant,
the two largest population centers. All of which meant that everyone would
be using the Don Holt Bridge (the one I use every morning to get to work)
which means that  seven lanes of traffic would instead be forced to use
three lanes. Seeing the handwriting on the wall, I left at 6am. Breezed
right in, but my wife tells me traffic is still backed up to Mt. Pleasant.

Charlie