Re: [OM] Trigger pulled Sony Nex-7 on the way. Suggestions on OM Zuiko a

Subject: Re: [OM] Trigger pulled Sony Nex-7 on the way. Suggestions on OM Zuiko adapter,
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 22:04:27 -0800
On 1/15/2014 2:31 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
>> I thought Moose was largely referring to my pasted list of some of the
>> lenses-may not be adaptable at least with the EF to Nex SB due to
>> protrusions that could damage the optics--lest I misconstrued. - This
>> requires dual adapters which may not be the best idea. The dedicated SB
>> OM to NEX Bo Ming had mentioned (nor EF or OM to MFT) has not appeared
>> so the engineering may be difficult.
> I must have misunderstood Moose.

Yup. I was indeed referring to Mike's list of incompatible lenses. Make an
adapter, then publish a list of lenses that
not only won't work, but may DAMAGE the OPTICS, introduces FUD in the potential
buyer. "None, or only some of my lenses
are on the list, but how can I be sure they've tested all of them?"

FUD loses sales.

> I took his comments to mean that I'm
> a one-off, a one-man market and it would be foolish for any
> manufacturer to build anything for me

I would never do that, if only because I think the likelihood of you buying any
new camera, within the time frame that
matters to the sellers, is exceedingly small and the chances that it would be
small sensor camera are vanishingly small.
Then you'd have to buy an adapter ...

> because there is just me and
> nobody else out here that wants to still use old OM lenses on
> something other than a Canon 5D. According to him, NOBODY uses OM
> glass anymore and it would be a fool's errand to even try.

Ah, there you go again. Obviously, I know several people who are using OM glass
on digital cameras. Nor, as I so often
am careful to say, do I believe that what's right for me is right for anyone
else.

I tried OM glass on 300D and 5D, and it doesn't suit me.

> But then, maybe he was just yanking my chain.

Moi???

Well, sure, but not in that part of the post. :-)

> I think that the time frame for the marketing of the SB is limited.
> APS-C and m43 are dying formats. As Full-frame continues to drop in
> price, these wannabe formats will get marginalized. Really, the only
> compelling reason to get the EM1 over the A7 is IBIS. Moose is all
> about size/weight, but that is only a limited market advantage for one
> old hippy in California*.

I did try, but I was never a good hippy. Now that all the good hippies are
retired investment bankers, dead or in rest
homes, I can pass. Oddly enough, there are quite a few E-M5s on the list, and
several of their owners have cited
size/weight as a reason for purchase and enjoyment. I'm just the noisy one. :-)

> Given the choice between the EM1 and A7,
> without the SB, there is absolutely NO/ZERO/ZILCH advantage to the
> EM1. It's nothing more than tomorrow's birdcage newspaper. (Don't
> believe me? Look how fast the EM5 has gotten diss'd).

You've been reading the online blatherers again, the ones who don't buy or use
cameras. Worse, you appear to believe them.

> The SB is the
> only thing that will keep these smaller formats viable for somebody
> who is SERIOUS about their lens adaption and who wants their lenses to
> be used as designed, not cropped.

Exactly. The question I raise is how many of you folks are out there and,
excluding yourself, how many are going to buy
something to replace/supplement film or replace their Canon FF DSLRs? Then, how
many will want to fuss with a SB
adapter, rather than just buy a FF camera.

> My point is that Metabones needs to make the Speedbooster less than
> Olympus needs Metabones to make the Speedbooster. According to the
> financials, Olympus is still sucking muck even with the high success
> of the OM-D. And you can't even blame that on the past company sins.
> This is current sales which aren't keeping pace.

And where we differ, and will never know the sales #s one way or the other, is
in whether there are enough folks who
will buy a SB if/when available to even be noticeable in the ILC sales numbers.

Skeptical Sales Moose