Re: [OM] [OT] Speaking of the palmetto state...

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Speaking of the palmetto state...
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 12:06:32 -0500
Congratulations.  Where we live (in Palmetto) is at the extreme southern
end of Tampa Bay.  It's still largely an agricultural area (mostly
cattle and tomatoes) and so is pretty quiet but within a short driving
range of many larger towns south and north.

I-95 is an awful road but necessary for at least parts of the trip.  If
I knew exactly where you were coming from I might have more suggestions
for you on how to vary your route.  While Savannah is a wonderful place
to visit I'd suggest that your next stop be in Charleston rather than a
return trip to Savannah.  While both are delightful I think you might
find Charleston even more so.  Or stop in both places if you have the
time.  If you stop at the South Carolina welcome centers when first
entering the state you can go in and ask for deals on hotel stays.
Charleston hotels with available rooms will call the welcome center and
offer the rooms at discounted rates.

I'm not sure or your route once you get into Florida but, if you don't
know it already, I'll suggest that you avoid as much of I-95, I-10 and
I-75 as you can.  On the return trip from Naples get off I-75 at exit
358 onto Florida Rt 326 (NW 77th St).  Take that a couple of miles to US
305 north.  Take 305 north to Baldwin and, instead of getting onto I-10
stay with US 301 by following it under I-10 and into the little town of
Baldwin.  You'll have to take a right then a left turn once in town to
stay with the highway and then keep on with US 301 until you get to
Callahan.  Continue straight onto route 200/A1A (301 turns left in the
middle of Callahan) which will take you back to I-95 at Yulee, FL.
Staying with US 301 at Baldwin adds very little time to the trip
and allows you to skip the congestion of I-10 and I-295 around
Jacksonville.  Much more serene.

If you plot your route on Google it will give you exactly what I just
outlined except for avoiding I-10/I-295 around Jacksonville.  Just drag
the route on the Google map to the continuation of US 301 on the north
side of I-10 at Baldwin to complete the picture.  Neither of our GPSs
gives us this exact route but we think it's the best.  You'll be much
more relaxed traveling US 301 than the interstates  The only places on
that route not to relax are the tiny towns of Lawtey and Waldo (just
north and south of Starke).  These little towns keep their tax rates low
by running speed traps enhanced by frequently changing speed limit
signs.  Avoid trouble by closely obeying the speed limits.  The towns
are so tiny that it only takes a matter of minutes to pass through
either one even at the legal limit.

Good luck with your trip.

BTW, we'll be here until approximately March 25.  When you come up I-75
and hit the intersection with I-275 on the south end of Tampa Bay (about
2 hrs from Naples) you'll be about 1-1/2 miles from my house.

Chuck Norcutt