Re: [OM] IMG: Final Fiber Spice Installation

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Final Fiber Spice Installation
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 03:50:39 +1300
Re: what Nathan and Jim wrote ( and also Chris B),

> I remember this discussion from my days in the electricity business back
> in the 80s in Florida. People always wanted underground power lines  but
> the utilities were no prepared to accommodate that due to the cost
> difference (a factor of 10).
>
> But with fiber, in all the places I have seen it rolled out (mostly in the
> Netherlands, and a bit here in Spain), it has been underground, often
> piggybacking on other work.
>
> Cheers,
> Nathan
>
> On Dec 30, 2013, at 8:48 AM, Jim Nichols wrote:
>
> Hi Nathan,
>
> I've never seen a cost trade-off for our local area.  I suspect, over the
> years, the wooden poles have proved more economical, for this area.  They
> are still using them in expansions to the system.
>
> Jim Nichols
>
> On 12/29/2013 11:53 PM, Nathan Wajsman wrote:
> It is really strange to see fiber on wooden poles.
> Nathan Wajsman

> On Dec 30, 2013, at 12:19 AM, Jim Nichols wrote:
>
> After watching the cable technician perform a fiber splice, I have a
> better appreciation of what exists within the "black blobs" that show up
> on communications cables.  The fiber splice enclosure is in the center of
> this image, where it joins numerous copper splice enclosures that belong
> to AT&T.
>
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Completed+Fiber+Splice+Installati
> on.jpg.html
>
> I'm sure the NSA must know about the busy corner in my backyard, but
> they must find this neighborhood very boring. :-)

I was amazed to see so MANY fibre lines attached to ONE pole. Huge faith,
considering the
ferocity of some storms.

Timber; the only truly sustainable renewable multi-purpose raw material that
can be used for
a multitude of construction purposes as well as heating fuel and making paper
... and
whatever else I have overlooked.

In New Zealand where at very considerable government-backed expense, fibre is
being
rolled out over all the country ( well the lucky parts of it ) the cables all
go underground. None
that I have seen are as insubstantial as those Jim illustrated. All the cables
I have seem on
cable drums seem to be about 2 inches / 50mm diameter.

There is no inter-company competition about this aspect - all the competition
takes place in
board-rooms and is about who controls what and which pays which and for what.

The country has too small an economy to consider a multitude of physical cable
networks like
this.

And i very much agree with Chris Barker when he complained about the use of
these cables
for transmitting online TV and movies when aerial systems are in place to
provide these
already, without the real need to waste such an expensive new resource which
has better
(more valuable)  uses..   I put online gaming in the same category.  It slows
down the internet
in this household enormously.

I remember a couple of years ago when ( I suspect it was on facebook)  a woman
in the USA
complained how slow the internet was - and she had just finished downloading
something
like 20 full-length moves ... :-(

Dim-witted, I thought.

Brian Swale