Re: [OM] Carbon Fibre Tripods, any recommendations

Subject: Re: [OM] Carbon Fibre Tripods, any recommendations
From: DZDub <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2013 13:59:18 -0600
On Sun, Dec 15, 2013 at 6:26 AM, Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Dear All
>
> I’m planning to do some walking carrying a tripod and I’d like some help
> with choosing one.  I have a Manfrotto (Bogen) 055C which is a bit hefty,
> and a nice little Velbon Maxi, which is a bit titchy.  I’m looking for a
> carbon fibre model, perhaps from Velbon, Giottos or Manfrotto.  The
> MT190CXPRO4 seems to be about the right size and weight, if a little pricey.
>
> Does anyone have any recent purchase that they could recommend?

The Velbons had seemed to be good value when I bought the El Carmagne 640,
but the line has been discontinued, and what there is now seems about the
same money as Manfrotto.  Speaking of which, I still use my Manfrotto 3221
with 3030 TPH.  I have not found a head to use with the Velbon which is
light enough not to negate the characteristics for which one desires a CF
tripod but which is rigid enough to support my Canaan or E-system bodies
with long lenses -- not to mention my Mamiya RB67.

I think the question of CR tripod legs is the easier one.  Finding a good
head is the trick.  I'm certainly open to suggestions.  I would like it if
this were the ticket:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/970689-REG/velbon_qhd_73q_qb_635l_magnesium_ball_head.html

Joel W.