Re: [OM] OT:Advice on internet video streaming to TV

Subject: Re: [OM] OT:Advice on internet video streaming to TV
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 20:53:58 -0800
On 12/12/2013 8:02 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> On this subject I only know what Wiki tells me about DVI.  But I
> rechecked and see this: "... So, DVI-D devices output HDMI signals, many
> including audio, (examples: ATI 3000-series and NVIDIA GTX 200-series
> video cards),[9] and some multimedia displays input that HDMI signal,
> including audio, by using a DVI to HDMI adapter. Exact capabilities vary
> by video card specifications."

HDMI video is identical to DVI, so "From a user's perspective, an HDMI display
can be driven by a single-link DVI-D
source, since HDMI and DVI-D define an overlapping minimum set of supported
resolutions and framebuffer formats to
ensure a basic level of interoperability."

The reverse is probably generally true, with exceptions that don't apply to us
garden variety folks, except for HDCP, a
later DRM. A rights protection source will require two way communication that
DVI doesn't support.

I've driven a DVI TV off the HDMI output of my notebook using a HDMI to DVI
cable and an audio connecter.

> So I see what you say is certainly true but it sounds as if there's no
> standard for the implementation.

I think that's not true. DVI to HDMI video is just mechanical connection. Audio
is separate.

Movin' Picture Moose