Re: [OM] B&W and War

Subject: Re: [OM] B&W and War
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 11:27:32 +1100
It was an utterly peaceful transition over a rather long period. The original
states were originally independent colonies which were joined at federation in
1900 - partly as a response to fears about German influence in the region. A
federal defence force and economy was seen as necessary. Then there were a
sequence of rather dull legal shifts which moved us from colonial to Dominion
status, to genuine legal and political independence. Until WW2 we hardly had an
embassy in other countries - we relied on the UK to represent us except in
three or four major powers. In WW2 it became clear that Britain was in no
position to defend us (following Singapore).  In the 1960's the Common Market
then destroyed much of the economic relationship.
When I arrived in Australia in the early 1970's there was still an older
generation that regarded Britain as the 'mother' country. They are now gone, as
is that sense of belonging. The recent attempt to declare a republic failed
despite being a popular movement - the opposition was well organised and the
prime minister at the time was against and was able to manipulate the
referendum by attaching negative preamble and dependant questions. But we are,
in effect, an independent republic and the ties, such as the Governor General
as head of State, are purely ceremonial.
The constitution is an Act of the British Parliament - and they refuse to let
us have it, an irritation. It's a bloody dull document anyway. There is no
sense whatsoever of a revolutionary origin. A few years ago, there was a bit of
a fuss when we realised that almost no-one knew the identity of the first
Australian prime minister.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.soultheft.com