Re: [OM] Shutter shock, VF lag, E-M1 vs. E-M5?

Subject: Re: [OM] Shutter shock, VF lag, E-M1 vs. E-M5?
From: Peter Klein <pklein@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2013 00:10:28 -0800
The E-M5 viewfinder lag is an issue. I photographed a game of duffer
tennis between two cousins, in the bright light of Austin, TX, and
rarely got the ball in the frame, no less contacting the racket. And
this is from a guy who can often nab the flicker of a smile on someone's
face with a Leica. The only way I got the ball remotely where I wanted
it was to open my non-viewfinder eye and use it to track the ball.

Later I got geeky and tried to measure the delay (crudely) using a
metronome.  I compared shooting it through the viewfinder and bare-eyed,
and sure enough, there was a difference. About 1/8 of a second, give or
take. Add another 1/8 second anti-shutter-shock delay, and we're talking
in the neighborhood of 250 ms or 1/4 second. Significant.

The thing is, the latest micro 4/3 EVF cameras are so wonderful at so
many things. I can focus them manually (magnified) far more easily than
I could ever focus a 1970s manual SLR.  Macro, great. Telephoto, great.
General travel, portabilty, great. Color, great. Low light, not as good
as the big heavy DSLRS, but still pretty darn good.

As my wife says, "There is no perfect camera."

--Peter

 > I guess it depends strongly on what you're doing. I've rarely noticed
either malady. But most of my photography is rather slow and deliberate.
But I have shot my grandchildren's soccer and baseball games and can't
remember being bothered by shutter or viewfinder lag. I will say that an
optical finder has a better image but I find the EVF so far superior in
what else it can tell you that I accept it for what it is. We probably
won't be concerned about it in another few interations of resolution,
speed and color fidelity.