Re: [OM] IMG: From a Trip to My Independent Volvo Mechanic

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: From a Trip to My Independent Volvo Mechanic
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 15:48:04 -0800
On 11/21/2013 3:27 PM, Jim Nichols wrote:
> This thread brings back "not so fond" memories of my 1980 Volvo 260,
> with the Volvo V6 engine.  It drove like a dream, but I spent way too
> much time adjusting the induction system to keep it starting and running
> reliably.  That was, undoubtedly, the most complex V6 that I have ever
> encountered, and that was thirty years ago. :-(

The engine was a joint project with Peugeot. I had a 604 with that engine. A
simple, two stage carburetor that I had to
work on only once. Auto choke wasn't working properly. Otherwise, it ran and
drove beautifully for some time. No rated
horsepower to speak of, but gobs of torque. Pulled my boat trailer easily at
freeway speeds. Big, wide tires on a wide
wheelbase; nice ride and good cornering.

Then it hit some certain age, and just started falling apart. I fought that for
a bit. For example, from a cooling
standpoint, it was two, three cylinder engines. The heater return hose split
into a 'Y', connected to the block(s) with
short pieces of rubber hose. Lordy those were hard to reach and replace!

I reluctantly gave up, none too soon. On the way across the SF Bay Bridge to
the wreckers, the back window gratuitously
shattered.

Seduced and Abandoned Moose