Re: [OM] IMG: From a Trip to My Independent Volvo Mechanic

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: From a Trip to My Independent Volvo Mechanic
From: JOHN DUGGAN <john.duggan10@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 01:17:49 +0000 (GMT)
Yes , they happily? paid up but I am beginning to wonder about the complexity
of the electronics on a passenger cell which is about 4' square!! I feel it is
over the top. Bear in mind that I could strip, clean, and re-assemble the twin
carb set up on a MG ZB Magnette in about 45 minutes sitting on a pavement in
the rain!! And tune it in another 30 minutes.  Modern cars are fine for first
owner but become increasingly problematic as they age. The problems seem to be
sensors / electronics NOT mechanicals.
To solder in relays ( which are prone to damage seems ridiculous)
As an aside BMW key fobs use(ed) rechargeable batteries which have a finite
life expectancy. My 2004 key fobs  refused to re-charge. Key fobs are "sealed
for life". the choice is either £140+ for a new fob plus matching to car or a
new battery  fitted via e-bay for £38.00.
 This really is unacceptable! The problem does not affect first owner but rears
it's head once the car is on second or third owner.

Regards
John Duggan,
Wales, UK