Re: [OM] GX7 IBIS

Subject: Re: [OM] GX7 IBIS
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2013 13:05:54 -0800
On 11/3/2013 10:10 AM, Frank Wijsmuller wrote:
> Hi Bill,
>
> I'd suggest you collect some more info then just this particular website. I
> found <
> http://tysonrobichaudphotography.wordpress.com/2013/10/17/the-gx7-vs-the-om-d-e-m5-battle-for-my-affection-round-1-ibis-evfs-lcds/>,
> have no idea of its credability but think it might not be as black and
> white as 'The ibis of the GX7 sucks'.

A little hyperbole isn't always bad - it goads others to do research, and save
me some trouble. ;-)

There are a couple of problems with this review for my use. Most of it is
focused on getting 'not too blurry' images at
shutter speeds I'd never use. If the two cameras he has are representative, the
GX7 is certainly better for that, but of
no interest to me.

As I've just said, I'm more interested in really sharp, detailed images at more
reasonable shutter speeds.

The one comparison I'm interested in has insufficient information for full
evaluation.  The shutter speed is right in
the danger area for shutter shock vibration. Previous Pannys have had that
worse than Olys. The GX7 has an EFC option
and the E-M5 has shock reduction.

Were either used? Both? The Oly shot doesn't look like classic shutter shock
I've encountered, but then the lens is
really huge and heavy, and may do a lot of damping.

If this was hand held, I'd again be interested in faster shutter speeds, as
well.

Hard to tell much from this review for my intended use.

> I have an e-m5 myself but think the GX7 is an attractive and less 'standing
> out' camera (what would be the word for 'more stealthy'?).

For inconspicuous, the E-PL5 and E-P5 might be considered. I have an E-PL3, and
the tilting screen makes for rather easy
stealth use.

The E-P5 has the tilting screen, too, but is bulkier. But no viewfinders
without the awkward and not inexpensive add-on
viewfinder.

> Good luck with your selection process.

Thanks. Any hurry to decide is strictly in my head. Heavy duty shooting season
is past for this year, and what I have
works well enough. If the IBIS is as good as the Oly two axis, the GX7 might be
compelling for its other aspects.

I. S. Moose