Re: [OM] RANT: Shipping Rates

Subject: Re: [OM] RANT: Shipping Rates
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2013 08:59:00 +1000
Indeed, but I sometimes wonder if there is a substantial difference between US
states as well.
In the UK, any parcel under 2kg is handled (well and cheaply) by the Post
Office. Any parcel over 2kg goes to a private contractor, Parcel Force (Farce)
which is no more efficient - but the price escalates dramatically. The
difference is huge. So much for the efficiency of privatisation. I have spent
long hours there breaking down parcels to sub-2kg lots. There the local branch
is likely to be at the back of a small supermarket with staff who only do PO
work, working out of a 'cage'. Here it's usually in the back of a Newsagency
and open.
The prices of small parcels has escalated in recent years and the options have
been cut back dramatically. A cynic (who me?) might say that various
governments have discovered the traffic from eBay and recognised it as a cash
cow.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.soultheft.com