Re: [OM] RANT: Shipping Rates

Subject: Re: [OM] RANT: Shipping Rates
From: Ralf Loi <ralf_loi@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 15:52:59 +0200
<<
Two thoughts come to mind:  First, the European governments subsidise
overseas mail in support of the citizens and commerce, which benefits
society as a whole.  Secondly, and maybe more important, their postal
services are far more efficient, whereas ours is continually threatening
to go under at any moment.  I can think of a number of other issues where
Europeans outsrtip their US counterparts.

I'm pretty sure it isn't so. There are substantial differencies between
countries in Europe. For example UK and Germany have
pretty good price for packages, and as a result I've bought some big items
from those countries. Italy is quite the opposite, and trying to send
abroad from here even a small packet (say 1Kg) is very expensive.
I remember that some time ago (10 years or so), sending a small packet
from US containing OM products (to stay on topic) was definitely cheaper
than today.

Ralf