Re: [OM] IMG: Pungo Creek Butcher

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Pungo Creek Butcher
From: Tina Manley <images@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2013 20:29:00 -0400
All of the grits in my pantry are made from whole dried corn, not hominy.
 It's possible that some of the cheaper brands of grits or, heaven forbid,
instant grits are hominy. This is what I buy:

http://www.amazon.com/Charleston-Favorites-Stone-Ground-Grits/dp/B007HROINE

http://store.charlestoncooks.com/store/product/1145/Carolina-Plantation-Grits,-2-lb-bag/
(this
is available locally for $6 a pound)

http://www.amazon.com/Palmetto-Farms-Pound-White-Ground/dp/B009HHNUUE/ref=pd_bxgy_gro_text_y

http://www.bobsredmill.com/corn-grits_polenta.html

Stone ground whole corn grits, nothing else!  I try to buy whole germ. Now
that I'm raising flint corn, I will be making my own.

Tina

On Sun, Sep 1, 2013 at 8:15 PM, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 9/1/2013 2:39 PM, Bob Whitmire wrote:
> > Not likely. Not on this front, anyway. I do love my grits, but can't get
> them up here as I like them, so don't even try.
>
> Tina has me all confused now. I'm thinking that in SoUSian, cooked up
> ground whole corn would be called cornmeal mush.
>
> Do do you like hominy grits, or polenta/cornmeal mush called grits?
>
> Now I've only been in Missouri, Kentucky, Tennessee, No. Carolina,
> Arkansas,  not Mississippi, Alabama, So. Carolina or
> Georgia (but for the corner of GA and AL at TN). Is there some sort of
> regional difference I don't know about?
>
> Wise A. Moose
>
> --
> --