[OM] 80, 38, and 20 macro lenses

Subject: [OM] 80, 38, and 20 macro lenses
From: Dean Hansen <hanse112@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 08:49:42 -0500
Don H. posted a link to three older OM macro lenses for sale on ebay.  I
have two, the 80 and the 20, and I haven't used either in years.  The 80/4
is the older, "preset" version--i.e., focus wide open, then manually stop
down to a pre-set f-stop.  Ahh, maybe OK on a tripod in the studio, but
kinda clumsy in the field.   I've thought of using it on my Bolex EL 16mm
movie camera but haven't gotten a "round tuit" yet.  (But the 135/4.5 from
Bill B. works great on the EL for butterfly work.)  Both the 38 and 20
manual lenses are an order of magnitude less useful than their automatic
versions.
     The automatic 38/2.8 is the entomologist's macro lens to kill for.
That's why I have three.  And no one was killed--just two unbelievably
lucky (< $200) snipes on ebay.
     In short, if you're looking to do some serious macro shots with an OM
film camera, I'd say hold out, and pay the price, for the automatic
versions of these focal lengths.
Luv that 38/2.8 Dean