Re: [OM] Steam trains running this summer

Subject: Re: [OM] Steam trains running this summer
From: "Bill Pearce" <billcpearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2013 19:51:21 -0500
The Durango to Silverton train is the gold standard of tourist trains. I
have taken it at least a half dozen times, beginning when it was still owned
by the DRG&W, including a couple of times in a private car on the end. You
can go one way or round trip, the return is on a bus, which I've only done
once. Don't recommend it as although you get some hair-raising experiences
in high speed bus travel, the train's still worth both directions. There is
a sort of resort along the tracks which can only be reached by train. Don't
know anything about it. There is also a place where you can get dropped off
at a hiking trail. If you decide to take the trip, and it is well worth a
special trip, set aside some more time and take the Chama-Antonito train,
nearby. Jointly owned by New Mexico and Colorado, it is a full day one-way
trip, through more varied scenery.