Re: [OM] OMD batteries update please

Subject: Re: [OM] OMD batteries update please
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2013 16:04:34 -0400
The price differential between the Progo and your new find is not very
large.  I would recommend sticking with what appears to work well.  As
in the case of my EZOs I thought all was well.  They took a first
charge, delivered an acceptable number of shots from that first charge
and then didn't work at all on the second use.  Proving the battery
works may take as long as being on your trip before you discover it
doesn't really work for the long haul.

This Wiki article on Li-ion says the self-discharge rate is temperature
dependent.  They show 8%/month at 21C/70F and 15%/month at 40C/104F.
There's more data there but I doubt you're interested in temperatures
much higher than 40C.  :-)
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium-ion_battery>

I've never done a li-ion self-discharge test but I just checked the
battery on my Minolta A1 which I think has been installed since at least
Feb 28 and more probably Jan 8 or even longer.  It only took about 30
shots in that period.  The battery indicates a low state of charge but
is not complaining that I need to change it.  If it was declining at
about 8%/month since 1/08 it should be at about 60% charge.  But I can't
tell the exact charge level and I don't really know how long it's been
in there.  It could have been well before Jan 8.

The Canon 5D's battery is also indicating a charge on the low side but
also not complaining about needing to be changed.  This one I'm more
sure of since I took 294 photos over several days commencing on 3/06.
Since this was a planned shoot I would have installed a fresh battery at
the start.  So it had taken 294 photos in early March and mostly been
setting in the camera bag since.  I would normally expect 400 or more
photos from a fresh battery so it has given good service I think.  I
just gave it a critical test.  It allowed me to focus and take a shot
but would not allow me to go into sensor clean mode since the battery is
too low.  Incidentally, the battery installed is an Energizer BP-511
clone that I purchased at the same time I bought the camera.  Both were
purchased on May 13, 2006.  That's 7 years life on that battery (and the
original BP-511 which is still chugging along).

ps:  I was just reading something that says Li-ion life is about 3 years
whether in use or on the shelf.  I'm winning in that war.  My refurb'd
Dell laptop's battery is also at least that old.  Works fine.

Chuck Norcutt