Re: [OM] (OM) OT Browsers

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) OT Browsers
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 07:59:52 -0500
On 6/14/13 07:52 : , Ken Norton wrote:
> Well, it certainly isn't just me making the observation about Firefox
> being bulky and slow. As to disabling Flash and Java, there is a
> little problem there. Flash can be disabled for most people, but Java
> is a real problem because probably 95% of the corporate
> web-applications use Java. These apps are rarely stable on Firefox,
> but will run perfectly well on Exploder.

I've been using FF on my Mac for several years now, and recently it's
just become unreliable.  If I leave it open for more than a day, there
must be a horrendous memory leak because not only does it slow down to
the point on uselessness, but it causes the whole system to slow down
until I either get it to quit on its own or I have to do a  force-quit.

I haven't used Safari much - going to try that now for a while and see
how it works.

I agree on the web-app thing - at the hospital, it's a freaking
nightmare because each app is coded with it's own version of Java, and
often an upgrade to one kills a different one, and we have one that will
not generate reports if you have Sun Java enabled and not the Microsoft
VM.  It's a never-ending swirling mass of compatibility hell.

We have to keep several older, insecure versions of Java loaded because
the developers all are taking their own sweet time in upgrading stuff....

--

Paul Braun
Certified Music Junkie

"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever." - David St. Hubbins

"Music washes from the soul the dust of everyday life" - Harlan Howard