Re: [OM] IMG: Harvest

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Harvest
From: "C.H.Ling" <ch_photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2013 12:21:03 +0800
----- Original Message -----
From: "Moose" <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>

> I believe/hope that her scans are 16 bit and at least aRGB, as she is
> doing some extreme color editing on some of them.
> With the proper conversion settings in PS, it will convert to 8 bit and
> sRGB for the web without losing any bits, only
> pulling them into the target color space. Better to do this at the end.
> Doing it in the scan has the same possibilities
> of loss, and limits what may be done in post.

aRGB was created for editing purpose, it REDUCE data (bit) lost when the
edit involve shifting of RGB values. With a 16 bit image and no clipping on
both ends, effectively you will not lost any data (16 bits is a lot when
fianlly you only need 8 bits) even for sRGB. I believe aRGB was useful only
on the old 8 bit ages.

This is just my guess, I would like to see the reason why we still need
aRGB.

C.H.Ling