Re: [OM] IMG: Harvest

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Harvest
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 08 Jun 2013 19:41:47 -0700
On 6/6/2013 3:35 PM, C.H.Ling wrote:
> sRGB is the final output to most monitors and printers, any other standards
> have to convert once again. I know Tina's files are sRGB, I just want to
> avoid any problem that could happen.

I believe/hope that her scans are 16 bit and at least aRGB, as she is doing
some extreme color editing on some of them.
With the proper conversion settings in PS, it will convert to 8 bit and sRGB
for the web without losing any bits, only
pulling them into the target color space. Better to do this at the end. Doing
it in the scan has the same possibilities
of loss, and limits what may be done in post.

> Putting non sRGB file on the web is something I will never do, some browsers
> (and the older versions) still don't know the conversion. I doubt what will
> happen to your 8 bit aRGB or Prophoto RGB web image when it is converted by
> the browser and dispaly on your monitor. Will the re-mapping causing bit
> lost?

This used to be a problem. I had particular trouble with some bright oranges.
They looked good in Safari, which was
color profile aware, but I couldn't get them to look right in IE or Firefox,
whether posted in sRGB or aRGB.

For some years now, all the major browsers have recognized and properly display
aRGB.

Broad Color Moose