Re: [OM] Computer Quote

Subject: Re: [OM] Computer Quote
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2013 15:40:49 -0700
On 6/7/2013 2:15 PM, Tina Manley wrote:
> You've got me pegged alright!  I think William has convinced me that I need
> to wait for the Haswell processor which is faster and cooler.

There are lots of reviews full of benchmark tests on the web. My reading of
them is that it's a tempest in a teapot for
speed. The six core Xeon is still the fastest in some tests. In others the
differences between it, other i7 Ivy Bridges
and Haswell are so small that a user isn't going to notice them.

Even power consumption is a mixed bag. The Haswell i7-4770 draws less at idle
than the Ivy Bridge i7-3770, but more when
working hard. Probably a net decline in power consumption overall in ordinary
use, but little to actually get excited about.

Haswell does bring another increase in graphics power. I'm interested because
it makes the possibility of going without
a separate video board with no loss in capability even more likely. Again,
don't listen to the gamer fanboys.

More Tech Moose