Re: [OM] Imagescience Computer Recommendation

Subject: Re: [OM] Imagescience Computer Recommendation
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 08:07:43 -0600
> Wow.  Seriously?  You actually typed stuff on that keyboard?  I had one of
> those - was a PITA to type on, and the cassette interface was flaky at
> best.  My next computer was a VIC-20, then a C=64, then an Amiga 500.

I didn't say that it was a "good" computer. But at least I learned a
lot on it. We heavily modded the computers with surplus keyboards,
power supplies, shielded boxes, etc. I bought a couple of surplus
capacitors (for about a buck) that were about the size of a pop can.
They could keep the computer powered for the better part of a minute.
With a few modifications, the static problem and connector woes could
be largely addressed, but not completely.

The parts inventory system was sold to two different businesses which
used them for several years. One of the guys copied my code into a
C-64 and then a CC.

A side note on the C-64 "upgrade". After he copied the code into the
new computer and got all the data transferred, he took the Sinclair
out into the driveway and drove his truck back and forth over it until
everything fit inside a document envelope and mailed it to me.

I will say this about that experience: I learned how to make something
usable out of very humble items. To go full circle, I still do this
today by pushing the limits of ancient camera technology. I'm tempted
to pick up an old DSLR and cabbage out the insides for other purposes.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx