Re: [OM] Imagescience Computer Recommendation

Subject: Re: [OM] Imagescience Computer Recommendation
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2013 15:43:36 -0700
On 6/5/2013 9:06 AM, Tina Manley wrote:
> PESO:
>
> I think I got this link from this group.  It's a thorough article on how to
> build a PC specifically for Photoshop and other imaging applications.
>
> http://www.imagescience.com.au/kb/questions/141/Build+a+powerful+PC+for+Photoshop+and+other+imaging+applications
>
> I printed off the recommendations, read through them and was ready to order
> when I realized it's all in Australia!  Does anybody know a similar company
> based in the USA that designs computers specifically for Photoshop?

I'm bummed, too. My last 3 or 4 desktops have been Systemax boxes where they
allowed one to pick from lists of
components, they built it and sent it to you. But that seems to be gone now.

There are US based, more or less build to order places on the web. I haven't
seen one advertising a PS machine
specifically, but you really just want one just short of bleeding edge overall
specs. Gaming machines with the video
speced down would be good.

Top of the line Intel i7, at least 16 GB of RAM, SSD primary drive, SATA III
secondary drive and a mid range video board
that's on the PS list for GPU support pretty much covers the important stuff
for running PS. You could possibly add a
second, small SSD for the PS cache, but it's probably better to just go to 32GB
of RAM, if that's available. No cache or
RAMdisk is as fast as simple gobs of primary memory.

I've been contemplating building my own, which I haven't done for decades; the
cost saving just wasn't there. One
problem for me is the endless array of motherboards. I wouldn't know how to
pick from the many that meet any particular
need. If someone else has picked one and an array of components to go with it
and made sure the mess works well
together, I'm fine. If I have to pick, my excessive research traits tend to
kick in. ;-)

And I do like getting one that's all together, so there's one place to go with
problems and no finger pointing. Not,
mind you, that I've had problems with the Systemaxes, which is another reason I
miss them. They were also cheaper than
the name brands.

Mother Bored Moose