Re: [OM] Some days you do choose wisely

Subject: Re: [OM] Some days you do choose wisely
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 15:37:28 -0700
On 4/17/2013 8:57 AM, Ken Norton wrote:
> Moose, you are correct on all counts. But, It does show that it's still a
> pretty level playing field. What if the names of the technologies were
> swapped? I could have thrown the same argument right back.

Should I take up the habit of extolling as exclusive, characteristics of my
chosen __________* which are not, in fact
exclusive, you will indeed have me. :-)

> And that is the beauty of where we are at right now. Both digital and film
> imaging are mature technologies.

No, I don't agree. I believe digital is not yet mature. For example, whether
Foveon or some other technology, I believe
that full color sensing at every pixel will come. If you've looked at the
carefully done color comparisons, you will
know that it will bring a meaningful increase in color fidelity/quality.

I also expect noise to continue to decline to at least some extent. I'm not as
worked up about high ISO noise these
days, as it has improved vastly.

I'm not sure if it is noise, as such, but there are still little, pixel level
artifacts, even at base ISOs. My memory
failed me there, as I thought the 5D was free of them. Perhaps it was, relative
to everything else at the time. But I
reworked a 5D image at ISO 100 the other day, and there were some of those
squirmy little things lurking 'mongst the pixies.

I'm hopeful that there will be continued progress in getting even cleaner base
ISO images.

> It's all good.

Indeed it is!

> The best part, for me, is that I get to use the OM system as intended.
>
> Yesterday, I was drooling over an F5 in mint condition for $325.

You are a silly boy. ;-) They sure made some good stuff. My dad's ancient 200/4
is the best 200 I've seen.

Digi-Moose

* Insert chosen technology and version here.