Re: [OM] OK, now that I sorted that out.... Ballhead recommendation

Subject: Re: [OM] OK, now that I sorted that out.... Ballhead recommendation
From: JOHN DUGGAN <john.duggan10@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 12:47:41 +0000 (GMT)
Paul, Joel W and others.
                              I recently bought a Manfrotto 190CX PRO3  I
cannot fault it as a tripod. I fitted it with a Manfrotto 496 RC2 ball head.
This gives a nice lightweight combination well suited to my Olympus needs.
I already have a Manfrotto 055X PROB fitted with a 488RC4 ball head. This is
one heavy beast and lives in the car. The advantage of both these tripods is
that the centre column can be raised and pivoted horizontally...Very useful for
close up / macro work.
I also have a 410 geared head which I acquired with a used tripod some years
ago. This is a rather heavy beast, but ideally suited to medium format and
shift lens work. It cost next to nothing and has earned its keep.
I also have a Benbo....which gets very little use, along with a few other
tripods. (It is not always an advantage having a friend who manages a Camera
shop and gives you first pick of trade in items with a staff discount!)
I could live quite happily with the CF/ Ballhead combo for Olympus work, and
the Aluminium Manfrotto for Med format. Could I live without the geared
Head....Yes but there are times when I am glad I have it in reserve.

Regards
John Duggan,
Wales, UK

________________________________

On 3/10/13 13:41 : , DZDub wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 9, 2013 at 9:10 PM, Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I'm seeing a lot of love for the 410 in a bunch of places.  May be worth
>> saving up a bit more.
>
> It's on my list, but it will probably go on the heavy Bogen legs.  It's
> still a mismatch to CF legs, I think.  It will go great with the heavy
> tripod you don't want to carry because you might not want to carry it
> either.
>
> Joel W.
I believe what I've taken away from this discussion is that I need to
hop the South Shore one afternoon and head into Chicago.  I definitely
need to see a variety of heads and see what works/feels best for me.
The only thing I am certain of is the Manfrotto CF legs.

I primarily need something lightweight, but heavy enough to hold the E-1
as well.  I haven't used the Mamiya TLR in years, and if I ever hit the
lottery and get a digital back with Graflok hardware so I can take my
4x5 Special Deardorff out of the case again, I have a Davis & Sanford
pneumatic-lift monster to hold that.  Or the nifty #3 Crown, but that
doesn't have any sort of head on it.

So, I'll hunt around for the best deal on the legs tonight and the next
couple of days, and figure out a time to go see what head has my name on it.

Thanks.
Paul Braun